Saturday, May 1, 2010

What is Wrong With Our World?

So I read this blog online called the Diary of Mad Dan. It's part of a project and he has different goals. One of his entries talks about hunger, and he showed a picture of a starving child in Africa, and another of an over-weight child in McDonalds. During one of my random spurts of boredom, I searched 'hunger' in the google search engine. Ever 6 seconds a child dies of hunger or other related causes! (wfp.org/hunger/stats) How crazy is that! Most of us go through our daily lives without even blinking when we turn on the car, or go through the drive-through of a fast food restaurant. We spend extra money getting food in town, when we already have food at home. Can't we be un-selfish for a little bit and share the money with those who need it more?

This is only one of the many images founded on google, when searching starvation. I later discovered that 684,000 deaths worldwide could be prevented by increasing access to citamin A and Zinc. By simply giving vitamin A to these children and adults, it can preserve and improve their eyesight, and help fight viral infections. I apologize if this entry is sounding like a doctor's review but I tend to go crazy when something this awful can be helped if we would stop being selfish. Maybe this means giving up that one special toy, or electronic that you've been wanting. But by doing this you can say, "I've helped save someone's life today." Wouldn't that feel good?

Those are my thoughts. Take them and do with them as you please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Good post. And btw, that is exactly where our tithe and fast offerings go. So feel good about your donations!

rachie + kennedy said...

wise words kenny :) lov u